How I start writing, Jordan Stephens
Your Moment, Inja
Inja is a poet, lyricist and storyteller.
The Poets Will Be Heard
Watch BBC Radio 1Xtras The Poets Will Be Heard to hear other poets explain why they write.
Try other ways to start writing
- Pick a topic. Identify one word for that topic. Challenge yourself to write non-stop for three minutes starting with the one word you have chosen. Write non-stop and write the first thing that comes into your head. Don’t worry about structure, rhyme, spelling or grammar. Afterwards, read through your writing, are there any words or phrases you could use to start your writing?
- Pick a topic. Write down negative words or phrases that make you feel angry and frustrated about that topic. Write down positive words that make you feel proud and hopeful about that topic. Select four negative words and four positive words to use as a basis for a poem about change.
You can also watch our featured poets:
- Yrsa Daley-Ward and Patrick Cash make a difference for LGBTI rights
- Sarah Crossan, Deanna Rodger and Bethany Rose make a difference for women’s rights
- Amy León and Sarah Crossan make a difference for equality