Accessibility

Close

Text size

All popular browsers allow zooming in and out by pressing the Ctrl (Cmd in OS X) and + or - keys. Or alternatively hold down the Ctrl key and scroll up or down with the mouse.

Line height

Contrast

June 2018. Minutes

er

Truro and Falmouth Amnesty International Group

Minutes of Meeting held on 13 June 2018

  1. Present: Margaret George, Chris Clarke, Meike Koops, Hetty Tye, Karen Cooper, Georgie Wong.
  2. Apologies: Wailim Wong, Shirley Sweeney, Linnea Glynne-Rule, Chris Ramsey.
  3. Matters arising from the Minutes of the meeting held on 9 May 2018: 1. Meike had brought the book from the exhibition to be signed before she took it to Archie Brown’s to thank them for hosting it. 2. Margaret had circulated the Data Protection information. Quite a few contacts on the list have not responded, so they will be removed from the circulation list. 3. Those whose names are mentioned in the minutes (as present, or apologies) have all agreed to them going on the website.
  4. Secretary’s report: i. the monthly action did not include any letters to write. It was agreed that Margaret would send on the monthly email to the regular attenders at meetings.
  5. Treasurer’s report: Karen is now getting the bank statements to her name and address. As at 1st June we had £1258.93. Karen will investigate online banking, and will be checking when rent is due to the church and whether we can get a receipt, as there do no seem to be any.  £123  was collected at the street collection, and £100 donated to the cyclist whom we met in Truro as he was going from Land’s End to John O’Groats.
  6. Campaigns:

North Africa – Hetty had another letter to write on behalf of Azza Soliman. Also in Egypt, Amal Fathy has been detained for criticising the government for not challenging harassment of women; there was a letter to sign. In Dubai Ahmend Mansoor has been detained for the peaceful expression of opinion; 3 letters were signed. Hetty also reminded us that the decision in the trial of Shawkan and 100s of others is due on 30 June.

Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories: Chris had sent the IOPT newsletter  which was discussed.

Former Soviet Union – Margaret received a response from Kazakhstan about one of the cases we wrote about. The letter has been sent on to Barrie Hay, the region coordinator. She also had a letter to sign concerning Turkey (not in FSU) where students detained after protests had been released but have alleged torture and ill-treatment during their arrest.

Central America – Georgie’ reports concerned Mexico. She had letters to sign on behalf of HR defenders opposing power lines, and Manuel Gaspar Rodrigues who was killed. There will be presidential elections in Mexico in July. Georgie had letters to sign to the 4 prospective candidates. She also had a report from the New York Times about the 43 disappeared students, stating that the original investigation was flawed ad that an independent investigation is to be held.

  1. Forthcoming events
  1. 18-24 June is Refugee Week. We are not organising anything ourselves this year but we had details of other events being held locally (to be circulated separately.)
  2. Bookstall in Lemon Street Market – we have been turned down for a stall here this year. It was agreed to look for other venues – Margaret will contact the City Council about a stall on Lemon Quay, Meike will check if we can have a corner in a craft marquee. Otherwise we will consider getting permission for High Cross.
  3. 25th August is Cornwall Pride in Newquay. We have booked a stall. Margaret will order materials.

 

  1. Next meeting will be on Wed 11 July, 7pm at Sambells Café.

 

View latest posts
0 comments