Skip to main content
Amnesty International UK
Log in

July 2017 Minutes

Truro and Falmouth Amnesty International Group

Minutes of Meeting. 12 July 2017


Present: Georgie Wong; Chris Ramsey; Karen Cooper; Linnea Glynne-Rule; Margaret George; Shirley Sweeney; Hetty Tye; Luci Forbes

Apologies: Wailim Wong

  • Refugee Week. The photograph display & other information was displayed in the cathedral. £20 was collected in the tins. We do not know if the photographic display was used in Higher Town.
  • AI is running a campaign focusing on the imprisonment in Iran of UK nationals Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Kamal Foroughi. Chris to get placards to use at future events.
  • Letters were signed asking Turkish authorities to drop charges against Taner Kiliç, Chair of Amnesty International Turkey.Idil Eser, Director of AI Turkey, and other Turkish AI activists have also been detained.
  • Training/Skills Share event on 7th Oct in Manchester for the Brave campaign which will support human rights defenders. Need to decide by 25th Sep who will represent group. Karen to ask Megan to attend on behalf of group. Luci may also be available.
  • Pride – Wailim to order more materials for event
  • Amnesty has produced a background briefing paper entitled Tackling Hate Crime in the UK
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  • We have £852.95 in the bank


  • North Africa:
  • We signed letters on behalf of Hanan Badr el-Din, a human rights defender,  calling on the Egyptian authorities to:  release her and drop all charges, inform her as to the whereabouts of her husband Khaled Ezz el-Din and to stop the use of enforced disappearances in Egypt.
  • We wrote on behalf of Ali Aarrass, who has been in solitary confinement in Morocco for 7 months and is in poor health, asking the Moroccan authorities to ensure he has immediate health care and to end his solitary confinement.
  •  Central America:

The Central America newsletter was emailed


  • We sent a letter to MP Sarah Newton regarding the disappearance of the 43 student teachers. Sarah to email Georgie when she receives information.
  • We received a letter from the Mexican Human Rights Secretariat which needs translation.


  • We signed a letter expressing concern over attacks against Aura Lolita Chávez & other members of K’iche People’s Council and called on the authorities to investigate these.


  • We received a reply in response to a letter we wrote regarding an indigenous community at risk. This has been sent for translation.
  • Israel/Palestinian Territories
  • AI has started a new campaign to mark the 50th anniversary of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip, which calls on states worldwide to ban Israeli settlement goods from their markets, and to stop companies domiciled in their country from operating in settlements or trading in settlement goods.
  • We signed a letter asking for the release of Hasan Ghassan Ghaleb Safadi, a Palestinian human rights defender, who has been detained since 1 May 2016.
  • We wrote a birthday card for Mohammad Faisal Abu Sakha, a circus performer who has been detained without charge or trial since 14 December 2015.
  • AI has warned of the “catastrophic humanitarian consequences” of the latest round of power cuts to the Gaza Strip.
  • On June 14th the Bedouin village of Al-Araqib in the Naqab/Negev desert was demolished for the 114th time since 2010, and for the sixth time this year. Al-Araqib is one of 35 unrecognised Bedouin villages where approximately 160,000 Bedouins live. Israel has stepped up efforts in recent years to clear the Negev/Naqab of its Bedouin inhabitants to make way for new Israeli settlements.
  • Chris to circulate the latest IOPT newsletter.


  • Social Walk
  • postponed till 24th Sep.
  • Pride. Sat 26th Aug, 9.30 onwards. Newquay
  • Linnea to organise but materials etc need to be transported to Newquay.  Chris to contact Tony re transport. Shirl has offered to help.
  • Stall booked. Need to find out if we need to take tables, gazebo etc
  • We have received 5 offers of help on stall  in response to email sent out by Farshid
  • Hetty will bring books. 
  • Any offers of help please contact Linnea
  • Book Sorting and Book Stalls
  • Book Sorting Monday 31st July, 10.00 am, at Robin’s. There is a need for more books.
  • Book Stall August 5th 21017   9.30 - 14.00.  9.00 set up stall in Lemon Street Market. Hetty will help with transport.  Georgie will do 9.00 – 11, Chris late morning/ early afternoon. Margaret all day. Any more offers of help please contact Georgie.
  • Mayor’s Coffee Morning22 July
  • Set up at 9.00. Hetty and Chris will help at 9.30, Shirl  will help at 10.30
  • There is a need for cakes, scones. Plants and some books. Any more offers of help please contact Georgie Wong
  • Street Collection Truro
  • Sept 23rd or 30th dates to be confirmed.
  • Peace Day Events
  • Sept 16th in the Piazza in Truro and 21st at the High Cross in Truro. The group believed the 16th would be best in the Piazza. Chris to contact Paul Haines for more information.
  • Christmas Card Sales
  • 25th November and 2nd or 9th December
  • Truro College Academic Academy 15th November 2017
  • Chris to take the session.


Next Meeting:  13th Sept 2017, Sambells Café, Truro Methodist Church, 19.00

View latest posts