In 2013 we sent more than 500 letters on behalf of human rights defenders and prisoners of conscience (beating our 2012 total of 398 letters). Let's see if we can do even better in 2014! Our record for a single meeting is 54 letters, assisted by modern technologies such as laptops and carbon paper. As well as the regular letter-writing meetings, we ran several stalls and events through the year to raise awareness of Amnesty's work, many jointly with the Nottingham Amnesty Group. Thanks to all our volunteers for their hard work over the past year.
On a national level, Amnesty has had quite a few successes this year - see https://www.amnesty.org.uk/issues/Thank-you for details.
Upcoming meetings and events:
- Monday 13th January, letter-writing at the Commercial Inn on Wollaton Road, 7.30 - 9pm.
- Thursday 23rd January, letter-writing at the Commercial Inn on Wollaton Road, 7.30 - 9pm.
- Wednesday 5th February, AGM at Chilwell Road Methodist Church, 7.30 - 9pm.
- Friday 7th February, Quiz Night at the White Lion on Middle Street, from 7.30pm.
- We hope to have an East Midlands regional conference in the spring, too - watch this space!
We are particularly excited about the pub quiz - last year's was a great event, and many people told us how much they enjoyed it. We also raised just over £200 for the group funds (most of which is spent on postage). Everyone is welcome (you don't have to be a member, and you don't have to already be in a team). We hope to see you there!
- Beeston Amnesty pub quiz poster