The Northern Ireland conflict claimed the lives of more than 3,600 people and injured a further 40,000. In most cases, no one has ever been held responsible.
Over the last decade a patchwork of measures, including isolated investigations, have failed to establish the full truth about the violations and abuses of the past and left many victims waiting for justice.
The inherent limitations and failings of existing mechanisms for investigating the past have meant that they cannot, even collectively, provide the full truth about abuses committed by all sides during three decades of political violence.
We are campaigning for a new, comprehensive process to be set up to review the conflict as a whole, establish the truth about outstanding human rights violations and determine responsibility.
We believe that such a mechanism would be an important step towards ending impunity for human rights violations and abuses in Northern Ireland and could contribute towards establishing a shared understanding of the past as a firm foundation for building a more peaceful future.
Read the report - 'Northern Ireland: Time to Deal with the Past'
- Administrative scheme for 'on the runs' must not perpetuate impunity - 28 February 2014
- Northern Ireland: 25 years after Finucane killing, failure to hold inquiry not only cruel, but positively sinister - 12 February 2014
- Haass proposals are 'once in a generation opportunity' - 5 February 2014
- Opportunity to deal with the past must not be squandered - 31 December 2013
- Victims say 'We're an embarrassment to politicians, but we demand action on the past' - 11 November 2013
- Compel retired police officers to assist police ombudsman investigations - 24 October 2013
- Writer calls for truth about torture in Northern Ireland to be revealed at Amnesty Annual Lecture - 17 October 2013
- Claudy bombings investigation suspension 'just the latest betrayal' - 15 October 2013
- Human rights provide key to unlocking dispute of flags, parades and past - 26 September 2013
- Omagh Inquiry refusal: Wrong call made by UK government - 12 September 2013
- Northern Ireland: Amnesty slams failure to deal with the past - 12 September 2013
- Time to deal with the past report
Sign in to leave a comment
Don't have an account? Create one now.
29 Oct 2013, 2:21pm