Skip to main content
Amnesty International UK
Log in

Ethiopia: opposition leaders detained after meetings with Amnesty delegates

Amnesty delegates photographed by secret service and expelled from country

Two Ethiopian opposition leaders have been arrested after meeting an Amnesty International delegation, which was afterwards expelled from the country, the organisation said today.
One of the men was accused of terror-related offences, while the charges against the other man are not known.
Bekele Gerba, deputy Chairman of the opposition Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement and Olbana Lelisa of the Oromo People’s Congress party were both arrested on 27 August.  On the same day the Amnesty delegation was called to a government meeting, where they were ordered to leave the country.
Bekele Gerba, an English teacher at Addis Ababa University, was arrested on allegations of belonging to the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF), a charge the government often uses to silence members of the Oromo political opposition. It has not been made public what Olbana Lelisa is accused of, but it is anticipated that the charges will be the same.
Amnesty delegates had met Olbana Lelisa the day before his arrest, to exchange information. They also met Bekele Gerba, four days before his arrest. Amnesty delegates were photographed by secret service agents leaving his office after the meeting. In that meeting Bekele Gerba had explained to Amnesty International the irony of Oromo politicians being accused of belonging to the OLF. “The OLF don’t like us,” he said. “They say we are legitimising the rule of the EPRDF [the ruling party], they say we are their puppets and our struggle does not bear any fruit.”
Both men were long-standing opposition politicians, who had campaigned openly in the 2010 national elections.
Amnesty International’s Africa Deputy Director Michelle Kagari said:
“We are extremely concerned that the arrests of the two men occurred within days of talking with our delegates.
“Although the Ethiopian government has denied it, we are worried that their arrests are not a coincidence, but because they spoke to Amnesty International.
“The arrests are indicative of the constant harassment of opposition politicians, and severe stifling of freedom of expression in the country.
“We are now extremely concerned for the safety of everyone our delegates met with while they were in the country.”
The two men are now being held in the federal police investigation centre, “Maikelawi”, from where Amnesty has received countless reports of the use of torture. Furthermore, detainees at Maikelawi are, as a general rule, denied access to lawyers or family members, for periods of up to two months.
Amnesty’s delegates were under constant surveillance during the 12 days they spent in the country before being expelled.

View latest press releases