Our promise to you
Amnesty International is a global movement of people who stand up for humanity and human rights.
Whether you are a member, take actions, join an Amnesty group, donate or volunteer – you power human rights change around the world.
Amnesty International investigates and exposes human rights abuses, campaigns for the protection of human rights, stands up for individuals whose rights are being denied and empowers people and communities to know and claim their rights. But without our supporters – without you – none of this would be possible.
We are proud of setting high standards for our fundraising and we want you to feel clear and confident about our approach.
Our supporter promise sets out the six principles that guide our fundraising policy, strategy and the behaviour of our fundraisers and fundraising partners. This is our promise to you:
Our fundraising respects and protects our independence, impartiality and mission
- Amnesty International UK is independent of any government, political ideology, company or religious belief, and our fundraising respects and protects that.
- Raising funds does not drive the work of Amnesty International UK, it drives our ability to deliver our work: protecting human rights.
- Amnesty International is a movement of people and the majority of our funds will always come from the generous support of many individuals - people like you who want to stand up for human rights.
- We will not accept donations from governments or organisations which threaten our independence or impartiality. We will only accept government funding for our human rights education work.
- We will never let any funding relationship prevent us from criticising human rights abuses.
We fundraise with integrity
- Our fundraising is honest, ethical, compliant and legal. We are registered with the Fundraising Regulator and raise funds in line with the Regulator’s Fundraising Promise.
- When we tell the stories of those whose human rights are being violated, our main concern is to respect their wishes, dignity and security.
- If we get things wrong, we will be honest about our mistakes and take swift action to fix them.
We work in partnership with our supporters
- We are a movement of people. We are at our most powerful when we stand together for human rights.
- Without supporters like you, our human rights work would not be possible. Your support helps to protect our human rights and we value and respect the contribution and commitment to human rights that you demonstrate by giving to Amnesty International. We will use your gifts wisely, and put them to work for the protection of human rights as quickly as we can.
We value and respect your support
- Human rights belong to everyone, and we believe everyone has a role to play in protecting them. Amnesty International is made stronger by the diversity of those who engage with human rights by engaging with us.
- We will make it convenient for you to tell us how you want to hear from us and will we respect your choices.
- We offer many ways to support Amnesty International UK and value each gift made and every pound raised.
- We value your feedback. If you’re unhappy with something we’ve done, we will listen and fully consider what you tell us – in line with our Feedback Policy.
- We treat everyone equally and fairly. If in the course of our fundraising, we are in contact with anyone who may be in vulnerable circumstances, we will respond appropriately.
- Our fundraising activity complies with our Data Protection Policy. We will never sell your details, or share them outside of Amnesty International UK.
We fundraise with courage
- We tell honest, powerful stories of people whose human rights are being violated, to show the terrible cost of human rights abuses and what you can do to help.
- Our fundraising needs to adapt to a changing environment and so we regularly review our strategy and activity and constantly look for ways to improve.
We will be transparent about how we raise and spend funds
- We are accountable to supporters like you, who make our human rights work possible.
- We will keep you updated on how we have put supporters’ donations to use, and the impact you are helping to make.
- We recognize and respect that when we invest in fundraising activity, we do so with funds donated to us for the protection of human rights. We aim to be as cost effective as we can, always aiming to enable more human rights work through the success of our fundraising.
To find out more please download our Fundraising Policy.