Scotland: Freedom of Expression Award shortlist announced
Amnesty International has announced the shortlist for the Freedom of Expression Award 2006. Now in its fifth year, this Award celebrates outstanding productions that tackle human rights issues in compelling and innovative ways.
The award acknowledges the importance of the space for progressive social and political change that is created by courageous writers and companies.
The shortlisted productions are:
- The Allotment (New Perspectives Theatre Company)
- The Art of Silence (Demarco Rocket Productions)
- Finding Marina (Children's rights of the Sea and Plan)
- Jane Bussman: Bussman’s Holiday (Jane Bussman – Filthy Picture and Richard Jordan Productions)
- Unprotected (Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse)
The shortlisted plays cover the themes of asylum seekers in Britain, torture and imprisonment child soldiers and violence against Women's rights's rightss rights's rights's rights's rights
Amnesty International’s Programme Director, Rosemary Burnett said:
“We have had an extremely strong field of nominations this year and have a fantastic shortlist. The diverse nature of the shortlisted plays will make it hard for the judges but is evidence of the wealth of productions at the Fringe this year that are tackling human rights issues.”
The judges for the Freedom of Expression Award 2006 are:
- Neil Cooper – Theatre Critic, The Herald
- Stephanie Knight – Director, Centre for Community Research & Practice, School of Drama & Creative Industries, Queen Margaret University College
- Joyce McMillan – Chief Theatre Critic, The Scotsman
- David Taylor – Head of Drama, Scottish Arts Council
The winner will be announced on Friday 25 August at the Scotsman Fringe Awards Ceremony, Assembly Rooms, George Street, 11am.
The shortlisted productions are playing at the following venues:
The Allotment: Pleasance Courtyard, daily until 28 Aug, 3.40pm
The Art of Silence: Rocket @ Demarco Roxy Art House, daily until 26 Aug, 10am
Finding Marina: Royal Botanic Garden, daily till 28 Aug, 2pm
Jane Bussman: Bussman’s Holiday: Assembly @ St George’s West, 22-27 Aug, 8pm
Unprotected: Traverse, run ended 20 Aug