Egypt: military trials condemned after protester Amr El Beheiry's year-long ordeal
Driver was beaten and humiliated during detention
The release of an Egyptian activist after a year in prison stands as a stark reminder that military courts cannot deliver justice to civilians, said Amnesty International.
Amr El Beheiry was freed on Monday after a military court reduced his original sentence of five years to six months and a fine during a retrial on 15 February. During his retrial, Amr El Beheiry was sentenced to six months on charges of breaking the curfew and fined.
In March last year, he was convicted by a military court for breaking the curfew and assaulting a military officer. He was arrested on 26 February, when the military police and the army dispersed anti-government protesters in Cairo. The authorities then portrayed him as a thug on state TV and in newspapers.
During his arrest and detention, Amr was beaten up, insulted, humiliated and imprisoned in Wadi El Guedid Prison, in the south west of the country, some 435 miles away from his family home in the Nile Delta city of Tanta, before finally being brought to Wadi Natroun Prison where he was held with other prisoners convicted for drug- and theft-related offences.
During his first trial, Amr El Beheiry was prevented from being represented by a lawyer of his own choosing and the hearing lasted just a few minutes.
Amnesty International Middle East and North Africa Deputy Director Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said
“Not only was Amr El Beheiry tried unfairly as a civilian before a military court, but he was deprived of his liberty for almost a year as a result of a sentence handed down with little regard for due process.
“Amr is not alone. Thousands of Egyptians have been sentenced before military courts although they are civilians. Many of them are either waiting for their retrial after having appealed their sentence or are too poor to pay for their appeal or simply do not know of their right to appeal.
“Amr has now been cleared of the charges of assault, which means he spent all this time in prison just for breaking the curfew.”
As a result of his sentence Amr El Beheiry lost his job as a driver for a goods company in Tanta. Amr’s brother spoke to Amnesty about his brother’s ordeal: “Amr is psychologically very tired after his experience. He has lost his job and his life has been destroyed just because he went out to defend his country.” His brother has previously told Amnesty l that prison guards referred to his brother and other protesters detained with him as “the thugs of the revolution”.
Last September Egypt’s military authorities said that since January 2011 some 12,000 people had been prosecuted by the military or been brought before the military judiciary. While many have since been released, thousands remain detained after unfair trials. Last month the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) announced they would pardon 1,959 people convicted by military courts.
At the end of January, members of the People’s Assembly, Egypt’s lower house of parliament, presented a draft law which would prevent the trial of civilians before military court. Amnesty condemns such trials of civilians, considering them to be fundamentally unfair and in violation of a number of guarantees of due process.
Meanwhile, in January, the head of SCAF announced that the authorities would lift the 30-year old state of emergency except for acts of thuggery. This exception means that the Minister of the Interior would retain the ability to order indefinite detention without charge or trial. At least 53 individuals are believed to be held in administrative detention under emergency legislation.
Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui added:
“If the Egyptian authorities are serious about marking a real break with the Mubarak days, they must completely scrap this emergency legislation and stop trying civilians before military courts.”