Amnesty International Media Awards 2004: Global and Regional Shortlists Announced
The winners will be announced at an evening awards ceremony at BAFTA, London, on Thursday 13 May 2004, to be hosted by writer, columnist and broadcaster Joan Bakewell.
The Global Media shortlisted entries are:
- Slaves of the 21st Century, Raphael Gomide, Publication O Dia (Brazil) - Nominated by Rede Social de Justica Direitos Humanos
- Meeting Death, Joao Antonio Barros, Publication O Dia (Brazil) - Nominated by Centro de Articulacao de Populacoes Marginalizades
- Uzbek Prison Brutality, Galima Bukharbaeva, Published IWPR (Institute for War and Peace Reporting) - Nominated by CPJ (Committee to Protect Journalists)
The Regional Media shortlisted entries are:
- Asylum Seeking Children's rights, Lorna Martin, Published in The Herald (Scotland)
- Situations Vacant, Lucinda Broadbent/Sonya Rothwell, BBC Scotland
- Eye on Wales (James Lee), Rhidian Thomas, BBC Radio Wales
For details of shortlisted entries in other catagories please see: www.amnesty.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=780
The Special Award for Human Rights Journalism Under Threat will be announced on the night with the award presented by Sir Bob Geldof. This recognises a journalist from anywhere in the world who is putting themselves at risk by reporting on the human rights situation in their own country
The Amnesty International UK Media Awards, sponsored by Pci:Live, recognises excellence in human rights reporting and acknowledge the significant contribution made to the UK publicâ€™s awareness and understanding of human rights issues.