Student Action Network
We have a vibrant network of over 100 student groups with thousands of members in universities across the country. In order to ensure we can respond quickly and effectively to their needs, these Groups are represented by the Student Action Network (STAN) Committee.
The Committee is made up of six student group members who volunteer for the role. Committee members:
- Represent their experiences of student activities to Amnesty International UK
- Support student activists around the UK at national and regional events
- Lead student events throughout the year
- They ensure that the voice of students is heard in key policy debates
The Committee provides a crucial link between our staff and student groups. Any member of an affiliated group can volunteer but they must be voted in - a new STAN Committee is elected each year at the Student Conference.
The Student Conference
Every year, in addition to the National Conference and Annual General Meeting for all members, we host a conference specifically for student activists.
Each Student Conference offers a broad programme of events with expert speakers, campaign workshops, actions, and a lot of fun. Over 200 students from Amnesty groups across the UK attend so it is also a great chance to share experiences, top tips and meet new people.
We also host an Annual General Meeting of Student Groups at this conference, where they:
- Hear what other groups are doing
- Vote on the motions that have been submitted
- Elect the new STAN committee