Resource pack: Poverty + Human Rights
Explore the impact of poverty, and the changes needed to ensure everyone’s right to live with dignity with three lessons, an assembly and films about residents of a Kenyan community and their fight for human rights.
To order your DVD pack telephone 01788 545 553 and quote the code ED121
Also available: Welsh language version
- Assembly highlighting human rights issues in Deep Sea community.
- Lesson 1: Poverty and Human Rights - Cover key poverty definitions and info, introduce the concept that poverty is a human rights issue and identify human rights abuses associated with poverty.
- Lesson 1 film: Deep Sea http://vimeo.com/6718856
- Lesson 2: Tackling Poverty - Explore NGO's different approaches to tackling poverty, apply them to a scenario to create NGO action plan, then decide on action for Deep Sea.
- Lesson 3: Taking Action - Recap on the role of NGOs, introduce Amnesty and our work as a campaigning NGO, then choose, carry out and impact assess action for Deep Sea.
- Lesson 3 film: Nyamalo interview http://vimeo.com/6719726
- Curriculum links: Key Stage 4 (age 14-16) Citizenship (England), Learning for Life and Work, Local and Global Citizenship (Northern Ireland), Social Studies area of the Curriculum for Excellence, or cross-curricular projects with Citizenship themes (Scotland), PSE and Education for Global Citizenship (Wales), Interdisciplinary cross-curricular projects on Citizenship themes.