The speaker for our February meeting is Kamran Foroughi.
Kamal Foroughi is a British-Iranian man who is in prison in Iran. His son Kamran lives in London and is coming to speak at our meeting on 8th February.
His father Kamal's predicament in summary:
- 77 years old British citizen, held in Evin prison for almost 5.5 years / 2,000 days (record for EU/Western citizen ever)
- no evidence or explanation or acknowledgement of detention ever provided by Iranian authorities
- he has not seen family in over 5 years, or even got any visitors
- denied medical care for almost all of this period
- now suffering cataracts and not getting urgent operations, slowly going blind
- eligible for early release for over 2 years / lawyer made over 50 applications for his release, with no explanation by authorities of why they don't
- PM Cameron and May been asking for his release continuously for over 2.5 years, so have EU, France, Germany, Italy, UN publicly (and several others privately)