SUMMER IS NEARLY OVER! (and it's raining!)
As we haven't had a meeting this month, I thought I'd report a few matters that have cropped up since the July meeting.
- we have been included in a general action coming up on Burma - more details soon from Tony Fairman, the Burma co-ordinator
- AI UK has also offered us a Burmese Individual at Risk so we'll need to decide at our September meeting whether or not we want to be involved in both a general action and an IaR
- Lynette will take on co-ordination of Burma material in the Group
- Tony Fairman will come to our 8th January meeting to talk about Burmah - he couldn't make 10th October, which we'd set aside in our programme for Burma, so we'll need to review the programme on 12th September
- Patricia has had another letter in the Southend Echo about the election in Zimbabwe
- the "Action Pack" for the Zimbabwe Campaign arrived only a couple of days before the general election there so we didn't have time to organise any action
- The Amnesty International Council Meeting - the overall decision-making body of AI - has been taking place in Berlin. There will no doubt be something on the AI UK website eventually but if you want a flavour of the proceedings click here. There's also an e-mail from the AI UK Board attached below.
Hope to see you at Avenue Baptists on 12th September.
Southend Amnesty Group Secretary