SOUTHEND AMNESTY GROUP MARCH 2017 NEWSLETTER
Here's our latest Newsletter containing notes from our March meeting and actions in relation to:
- Ali Arrass, who has been held in solitary confinement in Tifelt ll Local Prison in Morocco since October 2016. His health has sharply declined. In his trial the court relied on a confession obtained by torture. Please write to the Moroccan authorities on his behalf.
- Eren Kesken who is a human rights campaigner in Turkey and has been subjected to death threats, physical violence and judicial harassment. After last July’s attempted coup she faces charges for her human rights work that could lead to a death sentence. Please write to the Turkish authorities on her behalf or send her a message of support.
- Syria's Torture Prisons - please send an e-mail asking the Russian and American governments to use their global influence to ensure that independent monitors are allowed in to investigate conditions in Syria’s torture prisons. Here are details of AI’s report Slaughterhouse: mass hanging & extermination in Syrian prisons published on 7th February and for how to take action follow this Link
You can also sign up to AI UK's Trump Watch for breaking news, expert analysis and urgent actions you can take to fight President Trump’s assault on human rights around the world.
Don't forget, if you can't come to a meeting there are a couple of ways you can still take part in AI actions:
- Follow us on Twitter. If you haven't got one, open up a Twitter account, search out the Southend Amnesty twitter account @amnestysouthend and click the follow button. You'll find actions on the Amnesty UK website along with links to articles addressing human rights issues
- Join the Pocket Protest. This is Amnesty UK’s SMS Action Network. It's made up of more than 150,000 people who use their mobile phone to defend free speech and stand up for human rights. Either Text PROTEST to 70505 or follow this link for more information and details of how to join up on line or on your phone: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/what-pocket-protest."
- March Newsletter