Meeting Minutes May 2015
These are the minutes for the Amnesty London Region Meeting from Wednesday 6th May 2014 at 7:30pm in the Human Rights Action Centre, 17-22 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EA.
Chair: Ros (Acting London Region Rep; Lambeth)
Minutes: Alexi (Kingston; Richmond & Twickenham)
- Farshid (AIUK)
- David (Blackheath & Greenwich)
- Arlene (Enfield & Barnet)
- Deepa (Hampstead & Belsize)
- Paul (Hornsey & Wood Green)
- Stephen (Islington & Hackney)
- John (Wandsworth)
- Anastasia (Westminster & Bayswater)
Apologies: Kathryn, Roger, Petros
Regional Representatives Election
Alexi reported that there were only two applications received for the two London Regional Representative positions available, so Anastasia and Stephen were elected unopposed. The new reps were welcomed, and then invited to introduce themselves and to co-chair the meeting if they wished. To celebrate the appointment of the new reps, Ros brought wine and Deepa shared an exquisitely home-baked coconut cake.
Group activities: past activities
- Hampstead & Belsize: screened documentary “Where Birds Should Fly” about Gaza to a packed audience. See more here.
- Islington & Hackney:” Beneath the blindfold” screening at HRAC with guest speakers including Malcolm Evans. See more here.
- Kingston: March/April talks and film screenings from AIUK Country Coordinator and filmmaker Andy Moody on “Free China” about persecution of Falun Gong, and “The Other Interview” about North Korea. See more here.
- Richmond & Twickenham: Election hustings event at Teddington Baptist Church on Tuesday 14th April in collaboration with local United Nations Association and Twickenham, Richmond and Kingston Network on the Arms Trade (TRAKNAT). See more here.
Group activities: future activities
- Blackheath & Greenwich: Summer book sale on 20th June in the Church of the Ascension, Dartmouth Row, Blackheath SE10 8BF. See more here.
- Hornsey & Wood Green: Sponsored walk planned for 23rd May. See more here. https://www.amnesty.org.uk/groups/hornsey-and-wood-green/diary-events-2015
- Westminster & Bayswater: Letter to MP on HRAct, faith walk in September. See more here.
- Kingston: Street campaigning with Kingston University on Saturday 16th May, and talk on Thursday 21st May from AIUK's Tom Davies about the Stop Torture campaign. See more here.
- Richmond & Twickenham: Thursday 14th May talk from Ulrike Schmidt on Roma rights (Hungarian embassy). See more here.
- Wandsworth: Embassy crawl planned for Saturday 26th September, possibly My Body My Rights for the theme? Around seven embassies within walking distance; Farshid will update Jon on further possibilities.
Refugee week event on Wednesday 17th June at HRAC.
Stop Torture global day of action on 26th June, organised centrally.
Parliament Square action: Westminster council stalling on confirm the venue due to building work. Theme could be either Syrian refugees or Stop Torture. Possible alternative location/dates include Trafalgar Square, Thursday 10th December as it is Human Rights Day Ros and Reps will get in touch with Petros and Kathryn to organise.
London conference: Saturday 3rd October. HRAC is booked. Reps will review options for theme, workshops, stalls, speakers/panel, and creative actions. Details to be decided at next meeting.
Street Collection: Saturday 10th October. Organised by Alexandra Marks, Amnesty has a permit to fundraise throughout London though you need permission if taking place off-street (e.g. TfL is private property). Groups have discussed possibility of better advertising, as well as assertiveness training to combat “giving fatigue” – Paul suggested the simple and effective line: "Would you like to give to Amnesty?" Alexandra will get in touch with local groups and try to attend the next London Region meeting.
Facebook: We now have more control over the Amnesty UK – London Facebook group. Watch this space...
There will be a new advert about the Human Rights Act asking you to write to your newly elected MP on this issue. Please share.
Ros needs to get rid of old Amnesty action stuff accumulated over the years – see her announcement on the Google Group.
Next meeting: Wednesday 1st July