Truth for Giulio & Stop Torture in Egypt: International Weekend of Action 25-26 June
Take part in two days of action to commemorate 5 months since the disappearance of Cambridge PhD student Giulio Regeni on 25th June while we also mark the International Day for Victims of Torture on 26th June. This event will highlight actions to demand Truth for Giulio, led by Amnesty International in Italy and supported Cambridge City Amnesty and friends and colleagues of Giulio in many different countries. It will also demand an end to torture in Egypt, and call to account the governments around the world which are complicit in these brutal practices by continuing to sell arms and engage in security cooperation with the Egyptian authorities.
- Post a picture of yourself and anybody who wishes to join you with a Truth for Giulio sign, which you can make yourself or download a poster below. Please share this on social media accounts using the hashtag #VeritaperGiulioRegeni (Truth for Giulio in Italian) and/or #TruthforGiulio
- Join a vigil or photocall locally.
Cambridge Saturday June 25, 11am, in front of the Guildhall
London Sunday 26 June, outside the Foreign Office
King Charles Street,
- Suggested tweet /post on facebook and other social media
[On Saturday 25th:]
It’s been 5 months since #GiulioRegeni was forcibly disappeared. We demand #TruthForGiulio! #veritapergiulioregeni
[On Sunday 26th:]
On International Day in Support of Victims of Torture we demand #TruthForGiulio #veritapergiulioregeni. #Egypt #stoptorture
- Join Amnesty Italy's campaign, asking the Italian authorities to step up their demand for truth and justice. You can join their thunderclap here:http://thndr.me/R1wqLH . You can also send the following tweets:
It’s been 5 months since #GiulioRegeni was forcibly disappeared. @matteorenzi we demand #TruthForGiulio! #veritapergiulioregeni
[On Sunday 26th:]
On International Day in support of Victims of Torture we demand #TruthForGiulio! @matteorenzi @PaoloGentiloni where are you?
- Organise a vigil or a photo call in a public place, and then share on social media as above,
- Share other people's pictures and social media actions
- Share the following press release on social media or send it to your friends: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/05/eu-halt-arms-transfers-to-egypt-to-stop-fuelling-killings-and-torture/
You can send the following tweet to Philip Hammond MP, the UK Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs
.@PHammondMP UK should halt arms transfers to #Egypt to #StopTorture& demand #VeritaPerGiulioRegeni #TruthForGiulio http://goo.gl/aOllDN
Giulio Regeni disappeared on 25 January in Cairo, where he was researching independent trade unions for his PhD in Development Studies at the University of Cambridge. On 3 February his body was found, bearing signs of severe torture which human rights groups say are the hallmarks of the Egyptian security forces.
The Egyptian government denies it had anything to do with his disappearance and murder. Yet what happened to Giulio was not an isolated incident: over 400 unresolved cases of forced disappearance have been documented in Egypt since August 2015. Amnesty International reported nearly 90 cases of torture in the first three months of 2016.
Updates about the weekend of action will be posted in the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1737837973097262/
- Truth for Giulio Regeni placard A4