Friday 22nd April rally and photo call: Truth for Giulio Regeni
3.30pm, King's Parade (near Great St Mary's Church) , Cambridge
Organised by CUAI and Amnesty International Cambridge City Group, supported by Egypt Solidarity Initiative. We will be joined by friends of Giulio and Daniel Zeichner MP.
Giulio Regeni disappeared on 25 January in Cairo, where he was researching independent trade unions for his PhD in Development Studies at the University of Cambridge. On 3 February his body was found, bearing signs of severe torture which human rights groups say are the hallmarks of the Egyptian security forces.
The Egyptian government denies it had anything to do with his disappearance and murder. Yet what happened to Giulio was not an isolated incident: over 400 unresolved cases of forced disappearance have been documented in Egypt since August 2015. Amnesty International reported nearly 90 cases of torture in the first three months of 2016.
Giulio’s family, friends and colleagues are demanding to know the truth about what happened to him as the first step towards winning justice for all Egypt’s Disappeared.
For the press release, click here.
Take action now:
- Invite your friends and anybody you think is interested in joining the rally. Below is a leaflet which you can print out and distribute for your convenience.
- Support Amnesty’s “Truth for Giulio” campaign: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ask your MP to sign Early Day Motion 1169: https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2015-16/1169
- Sign the petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/120832
- Go to egyptsolidarityinitiative.org/justice-for-giulio for more information and actions
- Write to the Egyptian authorities to stop the persecution of human rights defenders and the crackdown on NGO's File attached, but can also be downloaded from https://www.amnesty.org.uk/files/fi08116_1.pdf Please take this Urgent Action before 20th May.