Our goal is to bring about a fair and effective asylum system. We attempt to achieve that goal in a number of ways- carrying out research into aspects of asylum policy and practice, developing proposals for improving those policies and practices and then promoting our proposals with the government, MPs and other opinion formers.
Refugees and asylum in the UK
We are part of Still Human Still Here, a coalition of over 50 organisations that are campaigning to end the destitution of thousands of refused asylum seekers in the UK. The coalition believes that the current policy is ineffective and inhumane and puts vulnerable people at risk.
Together we are calling on the government to:
- Provide asylum seekers who would otherwise be destitute with sufficient support so that they can meet their essential living needs until they are returned to their country of origin or are given permission to stay in the UK
- Provide free access to healthcare for all asylum seekers while they are in the UK
- Grant asylum seekers permission to work if their case has not been resolved within six months or they have been refused, but temporarily cannot be returned through no fault of their own
- Improve decision making and ensure that all those in need of protection receive it
- Read all our latest briefings and reports
- Help end the destitution of asylum seekers by getting involved in the Still Human Still Here campaign
- Take part in Refugee Week, a UK-wide programme of events and activities that celebrates the contribution of refugees to the UK
Sign in to leave a comment
Don't have an account? Create one now.
12 Sep 2013, 9:53am