Pinochet case: Letter asks for disclosure of medical reports,as new development adds to concerns on conduct of tests
|
Posted: 17 January 2000 As previously announced, the four organisations will also be presenting a full submission to the Home Secretary by the deadline of 5 pm on Tuesday 18th January. According to the Observer -- a British Sunday newspaper -- one of the four medical experts who examined Augusto Pinochet has effectively questioned the accuracy of the statement by the UK Home Secretary last Tuesday, 11 January. Professor Sir John Grimley Evans is quoted as saying that himself and the three other doctors who examined Pinochet on 5th January listed the medical facts, but that the determination that he was unfit for trial was outside their field of competence and responsibilities. He is also reported as having said that Pinochet's chances for recovery were slim but not impossible. Jack Straw's statement on 11 January said that "the unequivocal and unanimous conclusion of the four medical experts was the he is at present unfit to stand trial, and that no change to that position can be expected". This development adds to concerns already expressed in Spain and elsewhere about the conduct and conclusions of Pinochet's medical examination. Amnesty International is following closely the developments as it prepares its submission to Jack Straw. |

news blog